Monday, February 25, 2013

Menu Board

I will admit that I have a problem.  I am addicted to everything that has anything to do with organization.  And, I love taking an organizational tool and making it into something pretty.  That is where my problem comes in.  If I would just make something and use it, that would be great, but I have to make it pretty before I can make myself use it.

A couple years ago, I got the idea to make a menu board for the kitchen.  I like to cook but I struggle with the planning ahead of time.  I thought if I had a cute little board hanging in the kitchen, I would want to plan meals.  I got a magnetic white board and used the "Eat" Decor Element across the top.  I then put a piece of DSP on the bottom, tied a ribbon around it and hung it in the kitchen.  Well, the board was cute but it wasn't practical for what I wanted to accomplish.  For the last couple years, it has served several purposes.  At Christmas, it has held up cute pieces of artwork made by the boys.  At other times, I have hung recipes that I want to try and sometimes it holds coupons that I want to be sure to use.  I have looked at it over the last couple weeks trying to figure out how to make it more useful.  I think I finally have it and finished it over the weekend.

I'm really happy with how it turned out but, more importantly, I'm hoping it will help me plan a weekly menu. I used the Sycamore Street DSP for the background on the board and my meal strips.  I went through and typed out my family's favorite entrees and sides so that each strip is a complete meal. I did that in Microsoft Word with some fun fonts to make them appealing to look at.  If I had more time, I would have made them in MDS with a picture of the entree but I decided I needed to just get them done.  For the magnets, I used the soda pop tops, round disc magnets and DSP punched with the 1" circle punch.  I used Crystal Effects to put them together.  So, now it is up and I have to actually use it.  We'll see how it goes.  Happy Monday!



4 comments :

  1. I love this idea, so simple and pretty. Found you via point of view linky.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to make one of these for a while. Yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful patterns! And hey, if it gets food to your family, even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! much more fun than the boring lined notepad I currently use. :) So glad you linked to Point of View!
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete